Friday, April 26, 2013

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever.  Amen.  
Ephesians 3:20-21



I would love to introduce you to my new little friend, Shakira.  When I first met her, she was timid and reserved.  She came when I reached out to pick her up, but it was clear that she was not sure of what she thought about this lady who not only had a different shade of skin, but also didn't speak her language.  After a few more interactions, she has warmed up.  This afternoon in the clinic as I was treating another patient, she came into the room.  She just wanted to make her presence known.  No objections there.  Picked up her cute little self and just loved on her.  She is living at the clinic with her mom and her baby sister.  Her heart has a defect and she is waiting to have heart surgery to repair it.  She is three years old living life in a body that is barely the size of an 18 month old.  It was interesting because the other day, I was listening to her heart and to be really honest, I didn't hear any overt irregularity to the rhythm of her heart.
The only hint to me that something was not right was how loud her heart was beating.  I didn't really need the stethoscope to really hear her heart beat.  A wave of uneasiness came over me in that moment.  How many kids hearts had I listened to and missed a serious heart issue?  We had just finished school assessments of kids from the school last month... what if I missed something? And just as quickly as the uneasiness came, the awareness that this little girl had been seen by a doctor, had had tests to confirm what was going on, and was in a place ensuring that her needs would be taken care of.  God has her.  And pulling myself further away for a second, I was reminded by the hints.  Yes, obvious at some level, but hints nonetheless.  God has given me a mind that has been trained medically and HIS wisdom and leading often come to me.  
This afternoon when a young boy came in clutching his neck, I paused.  His sore neck was too tender and it has been hurting him for 10 days.  I sensed that more was going on.  A whispering of a thought and before I realized it, I knew that I needed to check his ear.  Before coming here, I was able to spend time with my doctor and fellow colleague, and was able to see lots of little eardrums.  
Taking the otoscope, I peered into the ear on the opposite side of his hurting neck.  His ear looked normal to me.  And then I peeked into the ear adjacent to his sore neck. The eardrum did not look the same at all.  It was bulging.  And so little Richard was treated with some antibiotics and some pain medicine and after praying with him, he went on his way.  I may have gotten on a plane alone four months ago, but I rest in knowing that I am NOT alone.  I am here because God has led me here and I rest in knowing that He has HIS children.  He is guiding me continually each and every day as  He uses me to love on His people here.  Sometimes, He uses my training, sometimes He uses colleagues here, sometimes it is calling a colleague back home, and sometimes, I believe, He whispers a hint to me.  It is neat watching Him take care of His people and it's also sweet watching Him show me that He has led me here and He will impart His wisdom to me as He leads me.

I pray and ask Jesus to keep leading me.  That He would keep me flat on my face in dependance to Him.  He is the Jehovah Rapha... The God who Heals.  His healing takes on different forms, but no matter how He chooses to heal, I choose to rest in knowing that He has His children.  
Thank you for coming alongside with me on this journey.  There are more blog posts coming..... ( c :  So thankful to have you all at my side.  It's a GRAND adventure. 














No comments:

Post a Comment